Calendar & Events
SGO Training - Planning and Assessments
Student Growth Objectives
Date/s: July 1, 2013
Time: 9:00am to 12:00pm
Educational Resource Information Center (EIRC - South)
SJ Tech Park
107 Gilbreth Parkway, Suite 200
Mullica Hill, NJ 08080
During the summer of 2013, the Department will offer regional workshops on Student Growth Objectives (SGOs). These workshops will be interactive and will include significant group work and discussion. Not only will participants leave the workshops with a clearer understanding of the SGO process, they will take away detailed strategies and materials to use back in their districts to train their staff effectively.
Districts are invited to send a group of 3-5 educators, including at least 1 teacher. District Evaluation Advisory Committee (DEAC) and School Improvement Panel (ScIP) members, directors of curriculum, supervisors and principals, and others who will be involved closely with SGO training are encouraged to attend.
In addition to bringing a team of 3-5 educators, there are other requirements that will allow participants to get the most out of the three hour session. These materials can be found on the AchieveNJ website, under the AchieveNJ for Teachers tab, on the Student Growth Objectives page.
1) Read the SGO Overview that summarizes how SGOs fit into the evaluation process.
2) Read the SGO guidebook and familiarize yourself with the regulatory requirements for SGOs (highlighted in red boxes in the guidebook), the recommended SGO process, the difference between specific and general SGOs, and the types of assessments you might consider using for an SGO.
3) Complete the SGO questionnaire. You will receive a link for this after registering for the workshop.
In addition, and integral to the work you will be doing, each district team will need to bring the following:
1) An assessment(s) that you currently use to assess a broad range of standards for a particular subject area, e.g. final exams, benchmark tests, portfolio and rubric;
2) The standards for that subject and grade; and
3) A mobile device on which you can view presentations and complete surveys.
If you have any questions about the workshop, please contact us at:
Educatorevaluation@doe.state.nj.us or call at
100 River View Executive Plaza
Trenton, NJ 08625